|“Auntie”Anne Beiler began twisting pretzels in 1987 at a Maryland farmer’s market, to support her husband, Jonas, achieve his goal of opening a community counseling center. In February of the next year, Anne and Jonas purchased their own stand at a market in Downingtown, Pennsylvania, where they sold a variety of snacks, including hand-rolled soft pretzels. In a twist of fate, the wrong ingredients were inadvertently ordered, resulting in a disappointing pretzel. After some experimentation, Jonas suggested adding a few additional ingredients. The result was a pretzel that Anne and her customers quickly dubbed “better than the best you’ve ever tasted!”|
I have always loved Auntie Anne’s pretzels… they are a guilty indulgence of mine when we visit the mall. It can be a big hit to the wallet with 4-6 of us though! So, when I was contacted to try the Auntie Anne’s home pretzel kit I thought I’d give it a whirl!
The home kit comes with everything you need, except water. It does take a little time as you have to allow the dough to rise for 30 minutes, but it’s not overly inconvenient… it gives you enough time to clean up your bowls and counters and take a breather.
I thought for sure the dough would be a sticky mess, but it ended up performing just as I had seen at the mall when watching the pretzel artists at Auntie Anne’s. As you can see, I am not a professional, but they rolled out nicely!
This photo is of the pretzels before baking. From this point, you dip them in a water & baking soda solution, place them on a towel to soak up any excess and put them on a greased cookie sheet. Baking time is short and sweet and it makes your house smell oh! so yummy.
This kit is versatile as well. You can make various items including deep dish pizza, stuffing, cinnamon pull apart bread, and bread pudding with your kit!
My final say… My opinion is that these were a close second, but didn’t quite hit the mark of the store option. My family disagrees and devoured them. I’m thinking that maybe if I made 12 instead of 10 they would have been a little thinner, most crisp and closer to the store option. Don’t get me wrong, they were fabulous and much better than I have made before when trying at home, from scratch recipes! Our finished product sure didn’t last long!
BUY IT: You can purchase an Auntie Anne’s at home baking kit for $5.99 to $7.99 at stores such as Reading China & Glass and Kitchen & Company, BJ’s Wholesale Club, Kroger, Dillons, Ralphs, Smith’s, Frys, King Soopers, Acme, and participating K-mart locations
WIN IT: One OurKidsMom reader is going to win an Auntie Anne’s at home pretzel kit!
HERE’S HOW TO WIN!… (Please remember you must have your email in your entry or viewable in your profile in order to win)
- 1 entry- This entry is MANDATORY. If not completed all other entries will be DELETED!
(1) Follow OurKidsMom via Google Friend Connect (found on the right sidebar under “Followers”). Remember, I do check!
(2) “Like” Auntie Annes Pretzels on Facebook (I’m sure they would enjoy a little comment love if you have time!)
BONUS Entries! You may do any or all of these in any order after the mandatory entry above has been completed. If you have already completed these actions let me know you did! Remember, you can’t win if you don’t enter!
- 1 entry- “Like” OurKidsMom on Facebook
- 1 entry- Follow OurKidsMom on Networked Blogs (right sidebar)
- 2 entries- Subscribe to OurKidsMom by Email
- 2 entries- Subscribe to OurKidsMom by RSS Feed
- 1 daily entry- Follow @ourkidsmom and @auntieannes on Twitter and tweet the following (up to 1x per day) leaving a direct link in your comment:
#Win a home pretzel baking kit from Auntie Anne’s @auntieannes at @ourkidsmom ends 11/18 http://tinyurl.com/3yvcswa
- 1 entry per giveaway entered- Enter any of my current giveaways and leave a comment here
- 2 entries- Grab my button and leave the direct link to where I can find it
- 2 entries- Add my link to your blog roll and let me know where to find it
- 3 entries- Blog about this giveaway with a direct link here. Come back and leave a direct link to your post so I can see it
- 1 entry each- Share this on Facebook, Digg, Stumble, Google Buzz, etc (you can find more by clicking the orange share button)
- Due to a change in Top Mommy Blog rules, I can no longer give entries for voting. If you enjoy my blog and my giveaways I would love it if you would take a second to vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs. Two clicks and you’re done (pretty please?)! You can click here or on the brown button on the right sidebar.
You do not have to be a blogger to enter/win. An email address is required to enter. Please leave it in your comment or make sure one is visible for me to find in your Google profile. The winner will be chosen via random.org and contacted via email. A reply to the winning email is required within 48 hours before a new winner is chosen. This giveaway ends at 11:59 PM EST on November 19, 2010 and is open to residents of the US.
This post was written by me and was not edited by anyone. The opinions expressed in this post are entirely my own and have not been influenced in any way. I received product for review purposes only. I was not compensated for writing this post. The sponsor is responsible for prize fulfillment and will be shipping the winner(s) their prize(s). For more information please read my disclosure policy.
Don’t forget to check the other participating blogs out for more
Christmas Wishlist giveaways!