|Prep Time: 30 Min||Cook Time: 25 Min||Ready In: 2 Hrs 55 Min|
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 2/3 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- Mix together the unsifted flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, yeast, water, and butter in the bread machine on the manual setting.
- OR, mix 1-1/2 cup flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, and yeast. Heat water and butter to 120-130 degrees F. Add water to dry ingredients; beat 2 minutes at medium speed on mixer. Add 1/2 cup flour, beat at high speed 2 minutes. Stir in more flour to make a stiff dough. Knead 8-10 minutes. Cover and let rise. Punch down. Cover; let rest 15 minutes.
- Remove from bread machine.
- Divide dough into 12 pieces; shape 3 pieces into smooth balls. Place on greased cookie sheet (I use parchment paper instead). If desired, before baking, mix 1 egg white and 1 tablespoon water, brush on bagels, and sprinkle with sesame, poppy, or caraway seeds. I’ve even added half a package of dry onion soup mix with a fabulous outcome!
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 20-25 minutes. Remove from sheets and cool.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 204 | Total Fat: 2.3g | Cholesterol: 0mg
Recipe & photo credit original recipe included boiling the bagels. If you like "new york" style bagels check it out! Omitting this step makes them more like bakery bagels.