Soup Sunday | Sausage and Lentil Stew Recipe
I have a habit of ripping recipes out of magazines and tucking them away in a binder. I always have good intentions of someday making them, but usually they sit and gather dust. I am a creature of habit and we typically rotate the same meals over and over again.
This week I dug through my recipes looking for a yummy but different soup/stew recipe. I found it from a page I tore out of Rachael Ray’s Magazine from October 2011. This section was from her Budget Cook feature… Easy to Freeze $10 dinners. I adapted it ever so slightly and made it vegan (and used less water)… but most of Rachael’s recipes don’t need much tweaking because they end up fabulous.
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 1 lb sweet italian sausage, casings removed, crumbled (I found a vegan variety at our local store) *We doubled the recipe & only used 1 lb… more than enough for us)
- 1 onion, chopped (about 1¼ cups)
- 1 large carrot, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 8 oz brown lentils rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth (we used vegetable broth)
- 1 head (3/4 lb) escarole, coarsely chopped
- *optional* parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top
- Heat EVOO over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until browned; transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
- Add onion and carrot to the pot and cook until slightly softened, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in garlic and rosemary and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the lentils, broth and 3 cups water (I only used an additional 1 cup water… we like thick stew). Bring to boil.
- Stir in escarole and sausage, cover and cook until escarole is wilted and sausage is heated through, 3-4 minutes.