Broccoli and cauliflower are two of my all time favorite vegetables. I was craving cauliflower so I went on a hunt for a good cauliflower soup recipe. I ran across this one on Allrecipes.com and knew it would be a hit.
- 1 quart chicken broth (we used vegetable broth)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, finely chopped
- ½ head broccoli, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules (again we used vegetable bouillon)
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup milk (we used ½ and ½ for a little more creaminess)
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (we put ½ cup in and left the rest for add-ins)
- In a stockpot, combine broth, onion, cauliflower, and broccoli. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Continue to simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Season with curry powder, bouillon, salt, and pepper.
- In a bowl, combine flour and ½ cup of the milk, ½ and ½ or cream (depending on your desired level of “creaminess”).
- Whisk briskly until there are no lumps. Add mixture to soup, stirring continuously as soup thickens.
- Stir in desired amount of Cheddar cheese until completely melted. Although the recipe calls for 2 cups, I only put in ½ a cup and allowed everyone to add their own desired amount).
- If you like a little creamier soup, pull out ¼ of the soup and run through a food processor… then re-add to the soup and stir.
This was a huge hit and everyone devoured it, even the littlest kids. We have picky children when it comes to cheese so I put a minimal amount in the soup and allow everyone to add as much as they desire. Serve it chunky or run a little through the food processor like I did to “cream” it up a bit.
We served this with our Gluten Free White Bread and it was yummmmmy.